Thursday, September 22, 2016

Talk to me about: thread (with a mini finish!)

This weekend I finished basting this quilt top and I'm ready to get started on the quilting. Pattern is from Missouri Star Tutorial inspired by Amy Smart's version of the pattern. Fabric is Essex Yarn Dyed in Flax and Fruta y Flor by Verna-Mosquera.


The problem: what thread do I use on the back? I'm so new to sewing I don't have many different thread colors. And I live in a place where my options to buy thread are limited. With this particular backing, which is pink with strawberries, there is no way I can find a match to the pink without ordering online. And I'm just not willing to spend a bunch of money ordering different shades of pink hoping I'll find a match and never using the rest

I did find a red that matches the strawberries on the backing. I'm a little nervous about using it because let's be honest it will show all of my mistakes. And there will be many, because I'm still a total newbie and I think this quilt may be too much for my modest machine to handle. 

So last night I used some scraps left over from the top of the quilt and backing to make a mini. I thought this would be a great way to test the red thread on the back. Here is the front with a nice neutral thread that matches the linen: 


And here is the back, with the red thread.



So quilters, I think I'm just going to go for it and use the red. I love red, so why not? But what would you do in this situation? What color would you use? If you have limited options for buying thread where you live how do you manage it? 

Thanks so much for stopping by, can't wait to hear your input. Even if you think the red is an awful idea tell me, I can handle it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog!!! I love reading your comments and always respond via email. If you are a no-reply blogger please leave your email.